This brings us to a survey released by MassMutual, fielded by Brightwork Partners. Nearly 2,100 defined contribution plan participants were surveyed. Highlights include:
- 74% of women routinely use Facebook, vs. 59% of men.
- 32% of men use LinkedIn, vs. 15% of women.
- Twitter is more of an afterthought, at 17% for men vs. 10% for women.
- Those actively contributing to the plan are more likely to use social media than those who are not.
- For households with income >$100,000, 36% use LinkedIn, vs. 15% where household income is <$50,000.
- Participants in their 30's are more likely to use social media than those who are either older or younger.
While the social media numbers may seem modest, it's good to remember that not too long ago, even the internet was an afterthought as far as communicating with participants was concerned.