- 70% of all workers are covered by a health plan, 65% by a retirement plan, and 58% by both.
- 76% of management employees are covered by both, versus 30% of service employees.
- Higher-paid workers are covered by both to a significantly greater extent than lower-paid workers.
- 71% of full-time workers are covered by both, as compared to 20% of part-time workers.
- 91% of union workers receive both health and retirement plan coverage.
- Large employers tend to offer both plans to a significantly greater degree than do small businesses.
One of the recurring themes of these blogs is that retirement savings does not occur in a vacuum. Recognizing the importance of health coverage for retirees in the context of future needs as well as more current financial challenges is critical to trying to find solutions to fill gaps in retirement savings.